Saturday, August 22, 2009

"HI Shelley!" and the Really Blank Look

After a work meeting, complete with name tags, I spent my lunch time Friday school shopping with one of my boys. As I meandered through the trendy store, endured an overly chipper fast-talker of a sales girl's explanation of the difference between loose fit and low loose fit vs. low boot loose...and that's where she lost me. I nodded politely, I think, and then a woman came out of nowhere "Hi Shelley!"

I could see she was also school shopping with teenager, but for my life I could not have told you who she was and my blank face conveyed it. Then it occurred to me, I slapped my hand over my name tag and peeled it off with a smile. "My name is Shelley," I said laughing, "who are you?"

I guess really the question should have been, what is your name? Because before I knew that I could have told you a bit about who she is, a friendly woman with a great sense of humor.

"Shelley," Becky said a few minutes later, "what do you think of this shirt?" And we talked a little about how even though we're school shopping for our kids doesn't mean we shouldn't look for ourselves. This is what I've been telling my kids for years, even when we're not school shopping.

Funny how a little humor goes a long way. I left there with a smile, a story, and a new shirt.

Thanks Becky, I hope you find this blog!

4 comments:

  1. Yes, a "little humor goes a long", long way sister! Wish you were closer and we could hang out! Blessings, Laurie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Laurie, I wish we lived closer too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i did get to see your blog, it was very nice to meet you and your son, funny how we have a lot in common getting our kids ready for school. But we can find the humor in our life experiences running into one mom to another mom. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog. If you need anymore funny moments meet me at American Eagle.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello stranger! I am sorry that I have just found many of the comments left on my blog. I am smiling remembering you and have told this story quite a few times. Your friendliness is REFRESHING! I must get back to AE to run into you again. : ) God bless.

      Delete