Monday, August 30, 2010

Spit, Broken Hearts, and Beautiful Labyrinths


Getting some exercise changes my whole outlook and my physical disposition. So I went running again today.




When I run I often feel the need to...spit. Spit. You have to get some of the crud out of you (in the field OK, I don't what I would do if I ran in town). I've not been one to pride myself in my spitting abilities so I decided over recent months to work on this. You know, just in case a car happens to pass by while I am spitting.




I discovered that no matter how much I improve my abilities in this regard, whenever someone is in sight this is when I will not spit well. I would rather skip the detail here. I will say that on really windy days things get rather dicey and can impair one's vision if speed and direction are not properly judged...by some.




Also while I run I seem to workout my heart in an emotional way too. Issues come to the surface. Sometimes I yell (also when cars are passing).




Today in between spit practices and laughing at myself, it occurred to me that I have seen a disproportionate amount of broken hearts over the summer. Sad, lost, or wandering hearts. It has been so hard to see, and to be one of them, mostly in the sad department. It drives me to my knees begging God to do something. There is too much pain in this world.




I'm not depressed. I went running, OK? Life is good too, I just hate seeing the pain. It's been too near.




Awhile back I was talking with a young woman, and we were sharing about some of life's struggles. "It's like a labyrinth." she said.



Honestly, I wasn't completely sure what a labyrinth was. I thought it was like a maze, but I learned some very intriguing stuff. For one, I thought it was like a maze but it's different in that there is only one way to travel through a labyrinth. There are actual life size labyrinths...I mean that humans can walk through. They contain winding paths, often within a circle, that lead to the center of the brain-like framework. The main thing is to move forward. If you stood still and forgot which direction you were travelling you might go backwards. It seems that the point is, focus, move forward, and get to the center of the thing, whatever it is, then find your way back to live life. This is what I get anyway.




I don't know how these strange little pieces of debris come together in my mind, but they do. Today the collage of thought reminded me that what God cares about is hearts, especially the broken ones. In the windy, winding paths of life where I spit, He cares about hearts more than anything else.




God, guard mine, teach it, and hold it. You are the only one qualified for this job.

Photography from trevormleephotography.blogspot.com

2 comments:

  1. Very good Shell,
    I really enjoy reading your blog. I can relate to a lot that you write, especially the people.
    When I take mom shopping, I find a nice seat and watch the people go by.
    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dad, Can you believe that for the years I've been blogging that I have not paid attention to the comments? I just found oodles of them tonight and am encouraged. Thanks for your kind words among them. I am grateful. Love you lots, Shell

      Delete