Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Coffee Please


Your print job is ready. No, we do not have an account for you yet.


No, we cannot laminate that.


Yes, it is raining.


It was just an annoying morning. So, I decided to cheer myself up with Starbucks while I waited for posters to get laminated (so they wouldn't pulpify in the rain....sure that's word, I just made it up).


Well, as soon as I made the decision to cheer myself up, the world cooperated with me.


This is not usually how it works, so it really caught me by surprise.


But literally, I no sooner turned on my heels after making the decision, with a heavy box full of print job, in the direction of that nearly intoxicating brew of beans, and people were opening doors and trunk lids at every turn, all going out of their way to pave my royal way.


Was there a sign on my head? I swear, I was dressed appropriately.


Even at Starbucks, a gentleman opened the door. The baristas recognized me, a regular, as I headed first to the cleanest and roomiest public restroom in town. By the time I greeted them at the counter, the cheerful cute blond girl said, "do you need anything more than your red eye?" (that's my usual coffee with an extra shot of espresso.....ummm, is there an Sbux open yet this morning?....concentrate!)


She smiled, sliding my prepared coffee toward me.


"You made my day!" I said. "I came here to cheer myself up, and you took care of that."


The guy with the cool braided hair asked what was wrong.


"Nothing big, just an icky little morning." I said.


"Because we offer counseling too." he said with a laugh in his eyes. "Spiritual help...." he grinned. I got the feeling he was genuine.


"Would this be Starbucks brainwashing?" I asked. "Because I'm good with that."


It was a nice little laugh, and the door was opened for me again as I headed out to my car.


But no one opened my car door. And that's where the time the world cooperated with me for a brief little respite, ended. But I had what I needed.


God is good with details that way.
Photo from trevorleephotography.blogspot.com
He comments: This is my Mom before coffee...actually, it was his photoshop skill.

No comments:

Post a Comment