Monday, November 30, 2009

Cutest Upset




This fuzzy little kitten is curled up at my feet as I write. Trevor found him at a photo shoot and said I should get him because he looks like our 12 year old cat, Ed (I mean, King Edward)...who we don't know how much longer we will have.

So here this kitten is, as cute and good as a kitten could be, really. I thought his good behavior would wear off as he got more comfortable with the dog and the now, very grouchy cat. But he has been good and accident free from day one.

Edward does not see the value in any of this. He's delivered many paw bats and blows to put this threat in its place, which should be in the woods if he had anything to say about it. The kitten is not detered though, he still persues Ed's approval, approaching him playfully or following him in constant observation of how big cats do what they do. His punished persistence is admirable and at the same time, a bit heartbreaking.

Sometimes the kitten will be sitting three feet away or so and Ed will charge over and bat him a time or two. The kitten just closes his eyes and braces himself. Minutes later he follows Ed like nothing ever happened.

Today Ed watched him try to acsend the couch where Ed was perched and gave him a "you fool" sort of look. I have to say, I think he's warming up.

I have to look at this from Ed's perspective. After all, we did crown him as King Edward. He's ruled the place for 12 years. The dog, five times his size, fears him. Ed had a really good gig going and now a mini-me shows up completely unexpected. I mean, certainly Ed had some expectations, as much as a cat could, I imagine. Dreams, if you will, and we made a train wreck of them.

This little blog story has got me to thinking more than some others. I have had many expectations in life, haven't you? I just wanted and expected a few things to go a certain way. When they didn't or don't I get to being pretty grouchy myself. I have to remind myself that life is pretty wide open and limitless, or at least it can be if I work with what I've got and hold fast to my dreams. I need to be more like the kitten, expecting the best, exploring my world in amazement, living in punished persistence sometimes, and curling up at the Master's feet.

The better of the two above photos was taken by Trevor Lee, http://tmleephotography.blogspot.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment