Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Running and Saving The World



One thing I needed to get done today was mail my Mom's Mother's Day gift and parents' anniversary gift (they fall on the same day this year). One thing. But several work duties, challenging phone calls, and errands in between buying the last item to put in the gift box and the send-off at the post office. About 90 percent of the day's duties were abnormally frustrating today. So when I arrived at the post office where the sign read closed at 4:15, and my watch said 4:16, and the window is under steel lock down I realized that I may have anger issues.

When I am boiling up like this the best thing I can do for the world is go running. Some people recycle to save the world, but my largest physical contribution is running. I am doing everyone around me a huge favor. Not everyone understands this though. Take for example, the people in vehicles that seem angry that I'm also using the road and don't give me any real safety buffer. Or the recent passenger who flipped me off for no good reason I can figure (for those of you who are unfamiliar with such gestures, that's a middle finger, the bird, an f-you!). Really? Did I deserve that?

Whatever, back to today. When I got back to my home office I managed a few email items, and conversations before I grabbed my iPod and running shoes. Very soon the words of the song Forever Young calmed and encouraged me. I started thinking about eternity and stopped yelling out loud to God about crazy life on earth (as if He hasn't noticed). Soon after that the happy exercise chemicals starting kicking in.

Back at home I completed a few little home repair projects with the boys' help and planted some flowers with more energy. I was a completely different person.

I know that taking care of myself physically (and in turn emotionally, mentally) does this for me. I've known it for many years and know that it is a must for me to be the best person I can be. You know, so I can save the world and all that.

So, why do I forget? Why do I put off what I know will benefit me?

Each time I get out of kilter I am baffled by myself. It's the same way with me and God. I wonder why sometimes He seems so far away. But I haven't been listening to His words. He left me a few written ones and lots of evidence of His work here. Yet, I put off what I know will benefit me.

Thank God I am reminded, refreshed, and on track again at the moment.

photo of Westley Lee (you'd rather see a picture of him running than me, trust me!) by Trevor Lee, www.tmleephotography.blogspot.com

3 comments:

  1. I absolutely LOVED this article--most of anything I've read of yours so far! (You go, girl . . .)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shelley,

    I enjoyed meeting you at the retreat this past weekend. Will enjoy following your blog. This was great today. I can so relate to the instant anger when our best laid plans don't go as we planned. A cool down period is in order. I don't run, but I do enjoy my walks.

    Blessings,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you guys could relate! I have enjoyed getting to know my new writing friends at NWOCW- great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete